Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Yes, We Can!

Am I a community organizer? If so, then I am in good company and proud of it.



I have always had a fantasy about banging my fist on a desk in a congressional hearing, like one of those writers who refused to testify in the HUAC hearings. I have always been incensed and personally offended by injustice--just not enough to take action. I had a cause inside me; I just didn't know what it was until I had Liam.


Tonight at a school board meeting in a conservative, affluent area, a resolution was passed about ability awareness. This resolution won't make headlines. None of the moms in line at Coffee Bean tomorrow morning will be talking about it, but it is important. A fundamental shift has occurred. I am neither exaggerating nor bragging when I say this passage was due to the efforts of special ed parents. I wouldn't say we fought, but we organized, we talked, we met, we walked, we vented and we worked.



We were talking before anyone wanted to listen and we were showing before anyone wanted to see.


We showed educators that we, better than anyone, know how to include our children in society and one effective way is through the celebration of our diverse abilities and gifts. We showed students and staff that they can have fun while learning about how we are different, how we are the same and how we can help each other. We showed ourselves that when we just show up and have each other to lean on, we can change minds. And we did.



Liam, I did this for you. Maybe you just moved one seat closer to the front of that bus.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Good for you!!!!