Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Show

We finally had the big show--a showcase put on by the drama group we've been working with. All the kids participated in a couple of free-form dances to live music and a number called, "The Magic Men". Liam and his friend were perfect! They did exactly what they were supposed to do. I know Liam was really happy afterwards, although I don't think he knows what a big deal it is to perform in front of an audience.

I was disappointed that no one noticed Liam's handmade cape and expressed disbelief that it only took me nine hours.

The director had asked me to speak about my experience parenting a child on the spectrum, so I prepared a speech. I hope it went over well. During a dress rehearsal, I made the dance teacher cry, which was not my intent. We have met a new family who has a daughter on the spectrum and they agreed with my sentiments. Their daughter danced beautifully with the other kids and seemed like she was having a good time. I can't wait to see what we do next with this group. There is no limit on what these kids can do--all of them.

No comments: