Thursday, November 06, 2008

Say Cheeeeeese!

Yesterday we went to church to get our family portrait taken for a new church directory. I am not a fan of studio portraits, but we don't have even one photo of our family together. I thought it wouldn't hurt to see what they might come up with.

Liam is notoriously uncooperative with photos. For our annual holiday card, I usually have to take up to 100 shots to get one where both kids are looking at the camera. Occasionally, you can get a candid of him where he is gazing into the camera with those magic blue eyes that see through to your soul, but the posed ones are problematic.

The photographer at the church was kind of an ass about Liam. He kept asking, "HOW old is he?" incredulously and warning us that he couldn't get any good shots because Liam wouldn't look at the camera. Liam was doing his best after a very long day, with numerous demands placed on him, and the guy was getting on my last nerve. I finally said, "How about you just do your best and we'll see what we get?" I think that for Liam, it simply doesn't make any sense to plaster a fake smile on your face while you stand in an awkward position while a stranger waves a stuffed elephant at you. Remind me: who is the one with the disability? 

1 comment:

Sue said...

it is for this very reason that I hate school photo day every year! the candid shots I take in the classroom are so much nicer that the ones the photographer takes!