Friday, June 27, 2008

The Show

I'm slowly processing the information from the conference as it inserts itself naturally into my life.

Today was the kids' final "show" at the end of a week of music camp. Their group learned singing. Liam had an inclusion aide, who we love and does a really great job meeting his sensory needs and helping him participate when he wants to. Liam and Zoe's group had to sit on a hard floor and wait for about 45 minutes until it was their turn to perform. That kind of situation can be a disaster for Liam. I saw his aide take him out and run around with him outside at one point, which was smart. When the kids got up on stage, Liam's aide sat on a chair to the side. Liam was the only boy. The first two songs were just bad songs (Hannah Montana and High School Musical--God help us) but I know Liam knows the words. He wasn't really singing, but he stood at the back and did some of the dance moves (out of sync). He generally stayed in place while occasionally pulling his shirt over his head.

I noticed he never went in the front to do a solo. I immediately became furious and ready for a fight, thinking the music director put Liam in the back where he wouldn't embarrass the group. Fortunately, I spoke to Liam's aide, who told me the director did try to get Liam to do a solo several times, but he refused.

A year ago, it might have upset me more that he "stuck out like a sore thumb", but not so much today. After everything I've learned, I just hope he was happy up there. I hope he liked the music. I hope he liked being with his little sister. I hope he liked knowing I was there to watch him.

No comments: