Friday, June 27, 2008

Labels, labels

One of the topics discussed at the Summer Autism Conference was the debate over labels. Should we use "people first" language and refer to someone as "a person who has autism"? Or should we say "autistic person"? The self-advocates each had their own preferences. Those who use the term "autistic" say that it is like any other descriptive word--blonde, smart, athletic, funny, etc. If we shy away from the term, we are admitting it is negative. Those who prefer the people first language say that they are a person first and that autism is one of many traits that they HAVE--blond hair, athletic skills, a sense of humour, etc.

Everyone agreed that it should be up to the individual to let people know how they would like to be referred to. I have struggled with this issue myself. I used to say "autistic", then switched to "has autism". I made up my mind to let Liam decide. This is how our conversation went.
Me: Liam, would you prefer to be called a person with autism or an autistic person?
Liam: (Looking at me like I'm crazy) Just call me Liam.

No comments: