Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Best Party Ever

Saturday was Liam's birthday party/one of the best days of my life. We've had a party for him every year, but this was the first time the guests were his friends. Before, I'd invite his classmates and my friends' kids, who knew who Liam was and weren't about to turn down cake and goodie bags. This year, Liam made the guest list and every kid who came really knows him and likes him.

We invited two of the kids from the general ed class, where he mainstreams in the afternoons. They are both so sweet. The little girl was so excited to give him his present, which apparently they had had a conversation about! Two of his sixth-grade buddies from school showed up. I was shocked that these girls would take two hours out of their busy weekend to come to a little boy's birthday party. Their mothers are obviously doing something right.

One thing that hasn't changed however, is Liam's reaction to the party. He remained in a remote corner of our yard, talking to himself and rarely approaching the guests. I know how excited he was for everyone to get here, but once it happened, he couldn't process it. In fact, that morning, while I was preparing for the party he got kind of squirrelly. He was trying to get a rise out of me by touching things he's not supposed to, asking the same questions forty thousand times, and generally annoying me. Finally, I remembered to make him a schedule for the party. After that, he was fine.

I had to prompt (and by "prompt", I mean "force") him to greet each guest when they arrived and made him stand next to each friend to pose for a picture. I will make him a "friend" photo album. After all the times he has cried, asking why he doesn't have friends, why he doesn't get asked on playdates or sleepovers, this party felt like a small victory. Now when he feels lonely or left out, he will have proof that, even if just for this one day, kids came over to his house because they like him.

No comments: