Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Letter to Liam, Chapter 8

Every year on my kids' birthdays, I write them a letter. Here is this year's:

Liam Bee,
Eight short years ago I became a mama when I met you for the first time. What a wild, wonderful journey we have taken together so far! This year has probably been the most significant in your life.
Last summer, I was at the end of my rope with your destructive and aggressive behavior. I worked hard with you all summer and at the end of it, you were doing fine again. I started to see more glimpses of my Liam, my sweet boy. We had hopes that your new teacher would be good for you, but that was not in God’s plan. School went from bad to worse. I tried everything I knew and I felt you slipping away from me. I made a bold move by placing you in another school, but I now know it was the right choice. Your new teacher bonded with you the first week. Right away, she was telling me how smart you were. Like an angel, she gathered you into her loving classroom and finally made you feel safe and valued at school. After a couple of months of hard work from everyone, especially you, I had my little boy back.
Since then, we have seen miraculous progress with you. You are reading, spelling and doing math. You learn new things every day and, even better, you now love school! Everyone there loves you and you are making friends completely on your own. I took you to a social skills group last month and the facilitator told me, “This is a different child. He could be our typical peer in the group.”
Daddy and I invited your teachers and aides to an appreciation night at the Autism Society. Everyone sat at the table and told stories about you—good stories! They all enjoy your humor, insight and affection.
This year, you are really enamored with dogs. You want one so badly, but we have agreed that you must become more independent first. You are still obsessed with nail polish and have to check every woman’s nails when you first see them. You love watching Max and Ruby and Lady and the Tramp.
This year’s birthday party will be the best ever. You decided who to invite and even invited some of your sixth-grade girlfriends on your own! Everyone is so excited to come celebrate your birthday.
There are no limits on what you can do in life and I will do everything I can to make sure you succeed in being productive and happy. It has become my life’s work to fight for you and I do it gladly. You are my star, my miracle boy, my puzzle. I love you forever and ever.
Love,
Mama

No comments: