Friday, August 08, 2008

One of the Good Ones

Yesterday was Liam's last day at surf camp. I got an ebullient report from his aide, who said he actually rode the board on his knees for awhile. He had behaved all week to earn nail polish--two of the counselors let him paint their nails. I took photos of him and his aide and got her information to keep in touch. She was a large part of why his experience was so awesome the last two years. She even loved him through the rough time he went through last summer.

We had been carpooling with another little boy and Liam tried so hard to engage this kid in conversation. He asked him appropriate questions in the car, but didn't get much of a response. The other boy is very verbal and social, but, like Liam, seems to prefer adult contact. He stayed for awhile to play after camp and Liam was trying to interact with him. He was showing him his toys and telling stories about them. I told him later what a good job he did. It was hard to watch him put himself out there and not get reciprocation. The other kid was doing the best he could, though.

After that long, exciting day, I did something that probably wasn't smart--I dragged Liam to the grocery store with me while Zoe was at soccer practice. I couldn't have been more surprised by his behavior in the store! He stayed next to me, listened, helped me pick out groceries and kept his hands to himself! He carried one of the grocery bags and put it in the car for me. I was so thrilled that I bought him an over-priced, eco-friendly lunchbox. All afternoon he was chatty and sweet, speaking clearly and appropriately. There was little to no perseveration. On the way home from the store I told Bee how good his behavior was. He said, "That is a lot of responsibility."

Yes. It is.

No comments: