Friday, May 09, 2008

Good Times

No, not the 70's sitcom starring the delightful Jimmy Walker, although it was AWESOME. We have had some good times of our own up in this piece lately. Liam has had a couple of amazing days.
On Wednesday I took him to a new social skills group run by our district behavioral therapist. She hadn't seen him since November, when we were deep in the shit. "This is a different child," she said to me when the group was over. On the way home I asked Zoe what they had done in the playgroup. "I want to let Liam tell you, " she said. That was unexpected. I had to prompt Liam several times, but he did tell me. He listed everything they had done and then told me all the changes he had noticed at his old school. We were having a normal conversation and I LOVED IT!
He's had good behavior at school and in the van, came home with tons of work he had completed and got 100% on his spelling test today. He's been compliant and happy at home.
These are the times that make everything worth it. On the other hand, these are the times I can't help remembering when he's rolling around on the floor with his pants down in public. I just want to shake him and say, "You aren't fooling me! I know what you can do--now DO IT!"
When these phases come around, I start scanning my recent memory for any changes in Liam's environment, diet or routine. I do the same thing when he's having a rough time and it's always futile. I'm starting to practice letting go of the ridiculous notion that I have control and just enjoy the good times. . .keepin' my head above water. . .and making my way when I can.

No comments: